Sunday, July 20, 2008

Remember your first spiritual recollection?

As I was sitting in Sacrament meeting this morning I reflected on my earliest recollection of being in church or knowing about Jesus and Heavenly Father. I will share mine with you and then I would love to have you leave a comment on what is your earliest rememberance.

I remember at about 3 sitting on my Mom's lap in church, sucking my thumb and feeling her slip strap ( b/c I like, Carolyn needed a "silky" too) and feeling so happy and peaceful. I remember in Kindergarden our family living inOrangeburg, SC and kneeling for family prayer and thinking how big and strong my Dad was but how gentle and kind he sounded as he prayed for our family to Heavenly Father.

I am so thankful for good parents who knew that religion was important and layed a wonderful foundation for our family.

I will always be grateful to have found the gospel in my youth and learned the plan of salvation. I am thankful that my children have always had the gospel in their lives. I have so many blessings.

Now it's your turn!

5 comments:

Jean said...

As I was pondering your question, I don't know that I can remember one instance from my youth but I remember how Momma would always tell us stories about Jesus and taught us different little songs. I, like you, am grateful for our parents laying such a strong foundation of faith in our lives and teaching us about Christ. It made it so easy for me to accept and understand the truth when I found it. I am grateful that I can now pass the great heritage of faith that came to me to my own children. This was a cool idea to help me remember all the spiritual training I had as a youth...thanks, Kim!

Libbi said...

What a great idea...I remember Shandon Church of Christ also and winning a white bible for bringing the most visitors to VBS! I also remember travelling with Mama and Sissie to Orangeburg every day for a week from Columbia just so they could provide a VBS for the struggling small church there, We stopped each day afterwards and had a picnic...I remember the red cold Kool-aid we'd drink at the picnic...silly but I remember even then knowing that we were serving another Church and other Christians and I remember that when my life seems "too busy" to serve a little more. We do indeed have a great family heritage...I also remember going with Daddy to numerous little tiny congregations for him to preach and I can almost quote two of his sermons. SO MUCH of our character comes from parents who taught us to ut God first and you are right that it made it easy to accept the Gospel and all of the principals of the plan of salvation! How blessed we are!

jacob said...

i have two. when i was around 4 or 5 i remember cleaning up the downstairs room and being extra quite b/c i didn't want anyone to notice until i was done. service: it's always brought me nearest to my God. the other one was when i was i think 7 or 8. it was when my leg quit working and i ended up in the hospital because my body forgot how to walk for some random reason. at such a young age my spiritual comprehension of good/evil was of an elementary level. My competence for discerning such things were as basic as knowing warm felt good and cold didn't. (For a twig like myself anyway) anyway, i got a preisthood blessing while in the hospital, i think it was john beasley that assisted dad. afterward i felt a warm feeling. Although not aware that the Spirit of the Lord had embraced my soul, i found comfort in such a warmth. It supports my on going theory that it's warm in heaven (I'm sure ninna is a believer in me and would be a good to ask considering of which she lives there now).

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

I don't actually remember well (at least not compared to my brothers) and since we've had the gospel in our lives all of my life, I don't remember a 'first'. I do remember that every month we made time for home teachers and we all turned the tv off to listen to the spiritual message they brought. I remember that when someone called Mom as relief society president, she dealt with the call and took care of it and didn't ignore it. I remember Dad getting up super early to read his scriptures and lesson before seminary and I remember Mom sitting on the couch quietly reading hers when we first got up. I remember never missing church unless we were super sick or out of town (and then we went out of town). I can still see us sitting on that crusty beige couch reading as a family, one verse each. I remember "practicing" bearing our testimonies in a family home evening and y'all encouraging us to bear them at church later. And that's how I gained my testimony of what I "alwasy seemed to know" b/c I watched y'all do all the stuff we talked about at church like it was routine - because in our house it was.

Anonymous said...

Mine would have to be when I was a sunbeam and singing Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam