
Sitting at work today as a secretary and looking at the date my mind began to think about my dear grandmother. Today is her birthday. She was a secretary for many years and I inherited many of wonderful qualities. We were both organized and loved to clean and have all our surroundings neat and pretty. She always dressed her best with matching jewelry and reminded each of her granddaughters to be a lady at all times. (....and don't forget a little lipstick!)
She taught me to serve others as I watched her care for and give to so many of her friends, family and neighbors. She never forgot your birthday or any occasion and we all knew the first card in the mailbox would be from Ninna. She loved each member of her family and thought we were the greatest in some way. She loved the Lord and prayed for each of us. She never lost touch with her immediate family and designated Tuesday as Sister's day. She would travel to Columbia from Summerton each week and have lunch with them. I was blessed to join her on some of those occasions and it was delight to be apart of their company.
Going to her little town of Summerton was the best experience. We always enjoyed the greatest home cooked southern meals. The candy and cookie jar were always filled with our favorites. The Summerton Diner was the fun stop for an afternoon treat. When evening arrived we knew our rest would be pleasant because the crisp linen sheets would be turned down to perfection awaiting to snuggle into.
I am so thankful for my loving grandmother and my heart will always have a special place just for her.
5 comments:
It's funny...when I woke up this morning early I thought about Ninna and realized it was her birthday today! I miss her so much and wished this morning that I could hear her say "Darlin" one more time. I even put on lipstick at 6:30 this morning and smiled because I knew Ninna would be pleased. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about her...we are so blessed to have such a wonderful grandmother and we have learned much about grace, unconditional love, and beauty from this incredible woman we have the honor of calling "Ninna"!
I thought of her too yesterday. She was a real refined Southern woman.
I miss her so much sometimes that I still get really sad! I'm so grateful that I have so many amazing memories of her!
We ate cake and ice cream at the beach to commemorate her birthday. I will always miss her. We need to figure out a way to have a sisters day!!
Nina was special to everyone that knew her, she was a blessing in my life! I shall never make pralines that I don't think of her!
Post a Comment